Silver coins were among the first coins ever used, thousands of years ago. The silver standard was used for centuries in many places of the world. And the use of silver for coins, instead of other materials, has many reasons:
▪ Silver is liquid, easily tradable, and with a low spread between the prices to buy and sell. A low spread typically occurs when an item is fungible.
▪ Silver is easily transportable. Silver and gold have a high value to weight ratio.
▪ Silver can be divisible into small units without destroying its value; precious metals can be coined from bars, or melted down into bars again.
▪ A silver coin is fungible: that is, one unit or piece must be equivalent to another.
▪ A silver coin has a certain weight, or measure, to be verifiably countable.
▪ A silver coin is long lasting and durable. A silver coin is not subject to decay.
▪ A silver coin has a stable value and an intrinsic value. Silver has been an ever rare metal
Article Source: en.wikipedia.org
Call Premier Coin Galleries For More Information: 1 (800) 820-5006